Search This Blog

Saturday, 9 October 2010

Independence Day, the count and a tie


Yesterdays date - 9th of September - is the day we celebrate the Croatian Independence Day. As it is a public holiday, so lots of people did not work and had a chance to use it for a long weekend. So, much less people spend it in Zagreb and it was delight to take a walk through the city center (and the weather was also very nice!). I took this photo on the Zagreb main square where I saw two of this guards around the ban Jelačić sculpture. They were wearing very interesting historic clothes - pay a special attention on the red scarf around the neck - it is a precursor of the modern tie. And if you didn't know - Croats invented the tie as it is known to us today! More about it you can read here.

3 comments:

  1. Great photo and interesting history.

    Darryl and Ruth : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where or what do the guards, guard? I never ever saw any guards near Ban Jelacic this summer while I was doing my Fulbright in Zagreb. What is the difference between Independence Day and Statehood Day (which I celebrated in June while I was there)?

    ReplyDelete